Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New England

Here's more pictures I have to share from our New England trip. I'm a bit fascinated by history and old cemeteries. This cemetery is located on the campus of Bryant University. There are old, old tombstones here. Unbelievably, someone still puts flags at some of the graves (these are dated in the 1800's). The graveyard is overrun with weeds and isn't maintained. However, it was very interesting to wander around.

The entrance to the cemetery:
Bryant University in the background:
I found it interesting that a woman's gravestone had "wife of" and "daughter of" on her marker. The makers of these markers done an extrodinary job. This one is from 1842...166 years old!!

A lot of the markers were small and buired under the weeds. This one caught my attention because of the flower detail at the top.
Only initials--no idea who this person was. There were a few markers throughout with only initials on them.
We were able to go to the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA--Great museum, if you ever have the opportunity I highly recommend that you go!
This is a seashell wedding dress designed by a local of the area.

One of my favorite pics of Emma from the trip. We are in one of the galleries at the museum.
While visiting Salem we took the opportunity to go on a Ghost Tour. I liked it the kids thought is was boring. We traveled, by foot, around the town by lantern light.
Moon during the walk.
Look what we found on our way to the airport:
Well, here's how my kids really feel about having a family photo done...again. They were so tired of hearing "hey lets all stand her and let Aunt Dee take a picture of us" (big thanks to Dee for always being willing to take those pictures)--thats the wonderful Boston skyline in the back:




One of the best things we done while visiting Boston was going to see Blue Man Group. Definitely one of the highlights of our visit to New England

I don't know how this happens. When we left for New England I had one, yes ONE, suitcase plus carry-on. When we left our bags were bulging PLUS we had to borrow a big bag from Dee to get everything back home. I swear, scouts honor, I bought only a few items while visiting. However, I think the kids found lots of goodies to bring home. These were all packed into a Saturn Vue...4 large checked bags, 4 carryons, and an overnight bag for Dee. I was shocked that it all fit.



That's all for now......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That picture of Emma....exquisite!

~Hillary